Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Take: Quotes 4

1. Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

-To be successful at something it take time. In running you aren't going to be a success over night it will take time you have to be patient. Recovery isn't going to happen overnight it will take time. To be successful at something you must continually pursue it. In running you must continuously persistently work towards your goal. In recovery you can't quit because of one bad meal you must pursue it and not quit. To be successful requires hard work. You must work hard in running to be successful at it, no matter what your goal is. In recovery it isn't going to come easy it is going to take hard work if you want to be successful. So no matter what you want to do, if you want to be successful at it you must be patient and give it time and not quit or give up because it doesn't happen immediately; you must be persistent you have to keep working at it no matter what is going on you must never give up you must keep working at it; you must perspire if you want to be successful which means you are going to have to work hard at whatever it is you are trying to accomplish, things aren't going to just happen you have to work hard to make them happen.

2. People begin to become successful the minute they decide to be.
-The minute you are able to change your mind from I can't or I'm not going to, to I can or I am going to, you have already became successful. The minute you decide you can do something or you are going to do something you have already took the first step towards success. So the minute you decide you are going to run a 100 miler or a sub 3 hour marathon or are going to recover you have taken the first step in success. So the minute you think you can and are capable of running a 100 miler and get out the door to start training for it is the minute you become successful same for a sub 3 hour marathon. The minute you put your mind to recovery you have already started the success. Deciding you can do something or are going to do something lets you begin on the path to success.

3. I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.
-Even the most talented people had to work hard to get where they are, maybe they don't have to work as hard as you do, but they still had to put in hard work to be successful. Hard work doesn't guarantee you are going to be the very best at something, but it does mean you can be the best you are capable of being. In running if you want to be successful and reach a goal of placing, a time goal, or a distance goal you are going to have to work hard to reach the goal, it isn't just going to come to you. If you want to place you are going to have to put a lot of hard work and a lot of hour of training to do so. If you want to run a certain distance you are going to have to put the miles in and if you want to run a certain time you are going to have to do the pace training needed. If you want to recover you are going to have to work hard, those that work hard at recovery are the ones that are successful those that don't work hard are the ones likely to relapse, but they didn't do the work necessary. Hard work does not guarantee you will be the very best but it does mean you can be successful at your goal. If you want to reach your goals and get to your bet you have to work hard.

4. I feel that the most important requirement in success is learning to overcome failure. You must learn to tolerate it, but never accept it.
-In life, in anything you do there is going to be failures but you must never let these failures discourage you, you must never accept them and declare defeat you should learn to tolerate that failure is likely to happen and be prepared for it to happen and learn from it when it does happen and importantly overcome it, but you must never just accept it and quit if you want to be successful. You must overcome the failure to be successful. In running and recovery you are going to have off or bad days, but it is overcoming them, learning from them, getting past them, tolerating them and never accepting them as the final result that will allow you to become successful. There are many reason that can interfere with what we are working on, something can happen and maybe we don't get that much mileage or we don't get that fast of time as we wanted or in recovery you don't hit your daily requirements. It is learning to understand these days will happen and begin able to overcome them and not just quitting and saying that's it I can't go faster, further, or eat the right amount that will allow you to be successful. You must overcome each failure and move on and not accept it as the final result that will allow you to be successful.

5. Never mind what others do; do better than yourself, beat your own record from day to day, and you are a success.
-You can't control how good someone is. Whether it be how fast they can run, how far they can run or how fast they are able to recover. You can only control yourself. You shouldn't compare yourself to others you should compare yourself to yourself. See how you are doing based on how you did before. Are you getting better, faster, stronger, healthier. To be successful doesn't mean you have to be the best at something, most likely there is always going to be someone better. So forget what others are capable of doing and focusing on what you are capable of and how you can improve to be better. Some things just are easier for others. You must learn not to base your success on what others are doing. If I was to do that I would have to say I was a failure at Nationals. Yes my last couple of miles were an epic failure but the race overall was definitely not a failure. It was my first competitive ultra, my first 50k and I finished in 3rd overall (Behind the World Champ in the 50 and 100 k's), I was the first in my age groups and ran a 3:46:30, good enough to get me selected to Worlds. But if I look at it well like Kami beat me so bad that my whole race was a failure, I'll never see the things I did accomplish. I can't compare myself to Kami, she is a different person we don't do, eat, train the same way. So in order to see if I was successful I need to compare myself to myself. Same with recovery we are all going to be at different steps in the process and we are each going to take a different amount of time to work through each step of recovery and because someone was able to fully recovery in 60 days of treatment doesn't mean you are a failure because it took you 90 days or more. You must look at yourself and compare it to how you were doing to see if you are successful at anything because you can't control what someone else is capable of. We are all our own people.

6. Good work habits help develop an internal toughness and a self-confident attitude that will sustain you through every adversity and temporary discouragement
-If you are a hard worker and do what you are suppose to do on the inside you can be confident in yourself and develop a mental toughness that no matter what you are faced with in running, recovery, life you know you can pull through it no matter how much it brings you down at the moment. This one basically speaks for itself. If you are a hard worker and dedicated runner and know you always do your best then if you it a down point in a race and get discouraged or something goes wrong you know because of the work you have done that you can pull through it. In recovery if you are working hard and always give it your best no matter what happens a slip up, a challenging food or something in your personal life that threatens your recovery if you know you have always gave it your all you can and will pull through it no matter how discouraged you feel at the moment you will be able to pull things back together. So always putting the best you can into something can give you the confidence and toughness to know you can get through anything that comes up.

7. History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
- I like this quote but right now I have been handed so many defeats... I just am not in the mood to write about it.. so if you would like to please by all means leave me a message..... I guess I need to read the quote again because the last line says they won because they were not discouraged by their defeats.... well I am working on not letting it defeat me but it's a work in progress......

8. The first principle of success is desire - knowing what you want. Desire is the planting of your seed.
- To succeed at something you have to want to do it. Whether it be you want to do it because you want to keep your job or because you love it and it's a goal and you want to get better or you want to recover. The first step to success is just getting yourself to want to do it. Once you know you want to do it you can go out there and do it and successfully do whatever it is you are trying to do. If it's wanting to run a sub 3:00 marathon or a 100 miler something inside you has to want to do it, that desire you have is the start, or seed, to being successful at it. You know what you want now you just have to go after it. If it's recovery and you have the desire to get better you have planted the seed to start healing and becoming recovered. This doesn't mean just because you want something or have the desire for something you will be successful, you will have to put the work into it to be successful.

9. Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
-Everything you do, in order to improve, no matter how big or small is leading to your goal or success. Sometimes we aren't ready to make a huge leap at once. Sometimes it is those small little things you do day after day that will add up to the success you want. If you want to be faster it could be knock a couple seconds off my time today compared to yesterday. If you want to run further it could be just adding an extra couple of tenths of a mile each day. In recovery it can be so many things. Adding 10 extra calories day, working on stop doing a food ritual each day work on doing it less and less, drink something with calories a drink more everyday. So many more things.... But it's all these little things regardless of your circumstance, that add up together to get you to be successful.

10. Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
-I had someone constantly tell me how they were a great runner and I was just a good runner. And this wasn't just once or twice this was numerous times. This would bring me down every time they said it making me feel worse and worse and that I wasn't good enough. This constantly got pounded into my head for like a month and I started to doubt my ability and what I was capable of ever doing no matter how hard I trained. I am slowly starting to believe in myself again and think that I can run what my goals are. It was also pounded into me that I wasn't ready to run so far yet and that I am not able to compete at that distance and slowly I am regaining confidence that I am able to run this distance. The ties between the person were cut and that is how slowly I am able to be regaining my confidence in my ability. But this person totally belittled my goals and also in fact completely set a different set of goals for me. It has taken awhile to get over these words and I still don't think I am completely over them. But this was not a good situation for my running or self confidence definitely not someone I should have been around. I am now surrounded by people who think I can be good. They don't expect anything from me but my best and they believe I have the ability to be good. They let me set my goals and help me to get to them. They don't discourage me from my goals and if there is a difference in opinion we talk about it and compromise. (Mainly the difference was about when to compete at certain distance, not that I wasn't capable but I could do better if I waited and got more experience and I saw the opinion and agreed with it so we changed some goals to push them back a few years). But being around such a person that constantly telling me I am not good enough and what not brought me down so much and now I am forced to try to bring myself back up. It is best that I just forget everything about this person and keep away from them. It was a bad mistake that I had to learn the hard way of how some people can truly be no matter how much you might have looked up to them, stay away from people that will bring you down. No matter whether it is someone bring you down in running or in life or with recovery stay clear of these people, as much as you might love them they are not helping you by bringing you down and telling you what you can't do. Hang around people that encourage you and want to see you succeed. Annette B. is a great example of this she encourages me so much. She is truly amazing. No matter what my goal she always pushes me to help get it. Beware of people and their motives they are not always seem as they are. Also just another thing that kind of relates to this If someone constantly tells you "the sky is the limit," don't let them for 2 reasons first "there are footprints on the moon" BUT more importantly they are putting limits on you, don't let them bring you down by placing limits on you.


2 comments:

  1. Great post. It really gave me something to think about. Especially when you mentioned recovery. That is something that takes planning and working at and I didn't realize it.

    ReplyDelete