Monday, August 3, 2009

Lancaster Festival 5k and Burning River 100 miler Pacing

Well, hmmm where do I begin....After last Thursday's (7-23) 5k in 18:19 I was pumped for this Saturday's race to try to get into the 17's. Well that was until my training leading up to it. Something happened I am not sure what, but if you know me you know I love running and never try to take days off unless they are unavoidable. Well Wednesday came and it was rainy and gray and crappy outside I didn't want to run. When I stretched to run I even told mom I wanted to take a zero day. When I went out to run I came up with good excuses to turn around every step of the way, but somehow I managed to get 10 miles in. I thought maybe it was just a rough day but then came Thursday and well the same kind of weather (even had to run later then normal because of storms) and the same feeling about running, didn't want to be out there doing it. I dreaded every step of it and only did 6 miles. So I knew at this point there was no chance of getting into the 17's I was just mentally out of it. Just didn't feel like doing it.

(Restarting this Friday almost a week later so I am sure there is plenty I'll forget) We got to the race and got registered and found the restrooms and talked to some of the people in charge of the race. They informed me that Rob Meyers was in town and was coming in to run the race. Well I went to warm up and forgot to take my medicine. Bad mistake cost me early in the race. At the start of the race there were some women on the front line but there was no room on the starting line so I went and stood behind a teammate of mine named Matt and Rob Meyers. Well the race started and I was told before the race that this one runner that we knew was trying to break 18 so I knew I needed to try to stay around him. Well I was off from the start. By the time I had got to the first mile I was 6:00.26 and this was way off because when I ran 18:19 I was 5:43 and I knew I needed to be faster then that. So after this I knew I was going to be lucky to run in the 18's. So we were on the bike path went up the hill around on the grass and through the streets and back onto the bike path. For the second mile the guy I was keeping tabs on had just disappeared out of sight. The second mile I hit in 12:07.16 (6:06.90). So at this point it was just hang on. I had been in first place the entire race, had no clue if anyone was near me but at this point my goal was just to stay strong and break 19. Well my last 1.1plus was 6:43.13 for an overall time of 18:50. I was the first female and 13th overall but it was a bad race. But I beat 2nd place female by 2:21. A guy I had beaten earlier this season beat me bad. But I managed to pick up $100 for my trip to Burning River 100 miler and for my family. Rob Meyers won the guys race in 15:05 and got all the headlines.

Race- Lancaster Festival 5k
Date/Time- 8-1-09 8:30AM
Time- 18:50 (6:00.26, 6:06.9, 6:43.13(1.1plus))
Place- 1st female, 13th overall
Temp- nice
Thoughts- Definitely a bad race- off from the start but happy I at least broke 19 again and won money for the family.

Burning River 100- (this is scattered and all over the place)
This whole idea came to pace this race the week of the race when I realized since I hadn't been able to run the 50k in Virginia I had planned to because I didn't have the money for the trip so I thought hey why not get my first pacing experience and 100 mile experience. So I posted on the website. I warned that I had never done it before and stated the 2 ultras I had done. And a guy named Nathan Echols contacted me. He was shooting for 19 hours. So I was pumped I was going to pace him from 81.6 miles to 101.2(the finish line) Before the race I had contact with a lady name Julie about possibly getting a ride to my aide station starting point. Well i hadn't heard from her. Well mom went to town and had the phone with her and happened to get a message from her(We don't have reception at home) So I called her back and we decided we would meet around 6 or whenever I was able to get there I allowed myself an extra hour because I didn't know where I was going. Well I got there at 5 something and contacted Julie he aid he would come pick me up and take me to the aide station at Boston well we got back there and waited for her runner Juli, at this time we also got the news that something happened to Nathan and he had gotten lost for about an hour and went back to his girlfriend, Jenny Chow, to run so he would be later then planned. Well Julie got me out to my aide station at about 6:30. I was suppose to be prepared for a give or take 45 minutes of 8 PM and now was told give or take 45 minutes of 9 PM.

The aid station was called the covered Bridge. Out there I met a guy named Mike that I was facebook friends with. I ended up talking to him until 10:05PM when Nathan and Jenny showed up (with her pacer Michael). So I helped them get ready to move on to a bad 4 section mile of the course. It had over ankle deep mud. It was dark, there were steep hills and I even got my shoe stuck at one point. I am not sure if that is where it was but in this race I had my first real river crossing which didn't go to well. I was trying to follow Nathan who is 6 something feet tall and here I am barely 5' 3". Well I watched him step on a rock and I tried well that didn't go so well and all of a sudden all you heard was SPLASH my foot went straight into the water o I was like forget it. SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH all the way across. On that 4 mile section we did a lot of walking because it was what most people called "unrunable" - I am not sure how I feel about this because even when I was running 34 minute 5ks I never walked a step- but I have never ran a whole 100 miler- Well we ran and walked through the rest of the race I timed the run part of the race. We I picked jenny and Nathan up at mile 81.6 she was in 4th place. At mile 85 she was tied for 3rd place but the other women left the aide station before us so we were back to 4th place. Well eventually we got back up to 3rd place, but we weren't quite sure about this though and the aide stations didn't know for sure either. During our aide stations I would help Nathan and Jenny with their stuff and I also tried a chocolate chip cookie and a quarter of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I never had problems with the cookie but not sure about the other. Later in the race we passed another girl so at this point we now knew at worst we were third. At the next aide station we got it confirmed that we were second. So at this point it became my job to watch behind us for anyone coming. Because we knew the women we had passed earlier had 2:53 marathon speed. Well we passed a few other runners along the way but it was just black behind us. Then we hit the roads and poor Jenny they told her she had to basically sprint she had to run 4 minutes to get under 22 hours. Well she got it 21:59:59 for Jenny and Nathan, 16th and 17th overall and 2nd female. Total I was on my feet for 4 hours and 55 minute with them and 2:40:28 of it was running and 2:14:39 was walking and aide stations.
After the race we sat in the tent for almost an hour. Well it was 3:50 AM when we left the finish area. I didn't have money for a hotel room and I wasn't about to call my brother and sister(in-law) at 4 in the morning. So I figured I would just drive home the 3 hours (plus when you are tired have to stop for gas and restroom). So I left at 3:55 AM and headed home it took me until 7:20ish (normally I am up 1-2 hours before this in the morning). So I got home took my medicine and went to sleep until about noon. When I ran on Sunday I surprisingly felt OK. It wasn't until Monday that I felt anything!
It was a new experience for me. I had fun running with Nathan, Jenny and Michael. I just wish I could have done more for them. Michael knew much of the course so he led us and I just ran along side and helped them at aid stations however I could. I would loved to have tried to help pace Nathan to a 19 hour finish but as you learn things don't always turn out as planned.

Hmmm I am sure there is much more I want to say but just can't think of it. So for now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment