Monday, April 13, 2009

Difference of training and love of running

Wow with all the different types of training there is today I never thought someone would dislike you because of yours. But the other day on facebook I had someone de-"friend" me because of mine. But technically it was no big loss because he had said rude comments to me me in the first place. Such as asking me "if I was dropped on my head" and being rude about me having Body Dysmorphic Disorder. So really it was for the best of things because who needs someone with rude comments bringing you down. But I just couldn't believe it when I was telling him I wouldn't train his way and he said "if you want my help the you can ask to be my friend again" and just like that I was off his list. Well I never wanted to do this to anyone but I knew it was for the best I just went ahead and blocked him so I didn't have to put up with anymore rude comments.

But he was telling me that I needed to lift and that was the only way I was going to be a good runner. He told me I needed to gain this much weight in my arms, my legs and so forth. I simply told him I run for the love, joy and fun of it. I don't run to have a perfect body, and that is hard to accept being a perfectionist in all. But I have had to learn that the hard way. I have had to come to accept that I will not get the perfect body. That everything I do I will just want it to be even smaller or even better that it will never be perfect enough. I also don't run just to be in shape, that is just an added bonus of my running. All the fitness I want is just the fitness that I get from running. I don't even do cross training because I don't like to bike, swim or whatever you call it on the elliptical. I run all year long I try not to take a days off unless it is absolutely necessary I DO RUNNING SIMPLY BECAUSE I LOVE TO AND IT MAKES ME HAPPY! (I do, do about 1000-3000 crunches at night to help with my core strength and because I enjoy them.)

Now I am not saying anyway of training is wrong. Everyone is different and everyone enjoys different things. I just happen to enjoy running and nothing else. I have no problem with different styles of training, we are all unique, I just know what has always worked for me. What works for one person is necessarily what is best for the next. I have ran for over 11.5 years and just running is what has always worked for me. And is what I am going to continue to do. I admire people that do other sports or activities and enjoy them that is great, (just the other day I watched the Ironman on TV and loved watching it but have no desire to ever do one) but my passion is for running and that is what I am going to do. I am simply going to JUST RUN!!!!

Good Luck to you in your upcoming races!!!! Let me know how they go.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously ? The dude de-friended you b/c of the way you train ?

    That's too bad. Keep doing what you are doing, especially if you enjoy it as much as you do. But, and there is always a but, don't rule out the advice of other runners completely. Even though we are all different, there are a lot of good tips and training tidbits that I've gotten from other runners over the years.

    Keep up the fantastic work.....and please give me some motivation to do 1,000 to 3,000 crunches a night ! That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this wasn't a fellow ultrarunner. That's just pathetic.

    You're much better off without him, whomever he is.

    Keep on keepin' on, Amanda. :)

    Happy trails,

    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be your self Amanda, it's worked for the last 11.5 years.

    Chanakhya ( Nick )

    ReplyDelete